Thursday, January 3, 2008

It Was a Dark and Stormy Night...

I believe the first entry in a new blog to be a daunting thing. Those first few chosen words can set the tone of the blog for weeks to come. So, how to begin? I decided to check out the winners of a little contest called the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest to get inspired, and found the perfect sentence with which to begin:

They had but one last remaining night together, so they embraced each other as tightly as that two-flavor entwined string cheese that is orange and yellowish-white, the orange probably being a bland Cheddar and the white . . . Mozzarella, although it could possibly be Provolone or just plain American, as it really doesn't taste distinctly dissimilar from the orange, yet they would have you believe it does by coloring it differently.
Mariann Simms, Wetumpka, AL (2003 Winner)

The friendly folks in the San Jose State University English department sponser this contest every year in search of the WORST beginning sentence for a bad novel. It may be the best "worst" first sentence for a novel, but I'm quite enjoying it as a fantastic "best" first sentence for this blog (technically, it's the best 5th sentence, but I consider the first paragraph to be merely a preface to the blog, leaving the immortal words penned by Ms. Simms to start things off with a bang).

Ultimately, I'm just trying to get this entry posted so my sister Jennie, will have something to read. She called yesterday to tell me she was tired of reading the "Test" post, and to ask if I could please get a move on. Here ya go, sis!

Until next time, I leave you the immortal words of the latest winner:

Gerald began--but was interrupted by a piercing whistle which cost him ten percent of his hearing permanently, as it did everyone else in a ten-mile radius of the eruption, not that it mattered much because for them "permanently" meant the next ten minutes or so until buried by searing lava or suffocated by choking ash--to pee.
Jim Gleeson, Madison, WI (2007 Winner)

5 comments:

  1. I only have one profound reaction to this post...



    (wait for it)....


    HUH?

    =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, really -- YAY! Thanks for posting! No pressure, but I will eagerly await the next post and stalk you until I see it (because my 2 year-old is sick, whiney, and clingy and I need an escape!)

    Go, Becky! Go, Becky! GOOOOOO Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to be a stickler (well... okay... to be a little bit of a stickler... I believe that your first post was "Just a test". Now, I know that many, yourself included, would beg to differ. But, c'mon now lady, if we're going to be creating blogging history here, let's try to be accurate, shall we! :)

    ReplyDelete