Monday, August 3, 2009

Summer in the Willamette Valley

Oh how I love summer here in the Willamette Valley! The rain is miserable all year, but it does allow us the most amazing produce in July and August. Every year I take the kids and we pick berries, especially blueberries. I don't know what it is, but going is almost magical. The kids love it--they look forward to it--even now that Colin is 17. I think part of it is that we pick together with no technology whatsoever. We have blueberry wars, we eat til we are full and come home knowing that a little bit of summer will be saved in our freezer even after the sun disappears and the clouds set in.

This year, my sister Jen and her family visited us, so we took them blueberry picking. I'm not sure if they felt the magic, but I know we had an incredible day.


1 comment:

  1. Oh we felt the magic all right -- now my kids declare that no blueberries in the store can compare. I felt the magic over 100 pictures worth, it was wonderful!!!! Thanks for taking us.

    ReplyDelete