Monday, April 14, 2008

What do you do when YOU'RE happy?

This morning, Kendall and I were sitting at the kitchen island, eating our bowls of Special K with Berries for breakfast. We are crunching in silence, when all of sudden she reaches out with her fist and punches the box of cereal. I kind of did a double take. That's not really typical Kendall behavior. One of the boys at her age? Absolutely! But a little off center for her.

She doesn't even react, just keeps on chewing. I go back to my chewing, but a few seconds later she does it again. One quick, but lethal jab to the cereal box that sends it teetering , but remarkably, doesn't knock it over. At this point I can't stay quiet anymore, especially because I am almost spewing cereal all over the counter during an uncontrollable explosion of laughter.

"Kendall," I ask, "What on earth are you doing?"

She comes out of a trance of sorts and says, "Oh. I was singing 'If you're happy and you know it' in my head, and after I did 'If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands,' I thought I'd do 'If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Cereal.'

Now that I think back, it WAS a very rhythmic punching of the cereal box.

A few minutes later, she picks up the half full milk jug and shakes it vigorously--once, and then a few seconds later, twice. LOL

I'm thinking that tomorrow I need to make something a little more interesting. Who knows what she could do with a waffle iron or a 4-slot toaster!

9 comments:

  1. Laughing, laughing, laughing out loud and then a big sigh (I just wanted you to experience it with me!) Your posts are worth waiting for! I think it could be a new exercise program. Chew your cereal...punch the box, chew your cereal...shake the milk, chew your cereal...jog around the block!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so funny! Usually, when i do that, i say "If you're happy and you know it, poke Cody!" I've still got sores for singing that to him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, don't listen to Jonah, even he says, poke Cody, Don't do that!!!! Poke Jonah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very very very very funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you should tell Kendall not to do that because it might crack the ceareal.(I'm serious)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jonah, will be poked and pinched for the rest of your life for that. And Aunt Becky, please read my blog more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DON'T LISTEN TO CODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the "cereal zone time". You sit with a box in front of you, and don't really read, you don't talk, you just chew and chew and think. Elle used to hum. We called it her cereal song.

    nat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's time to introduce her to the verse that goes "If you're happy and you know it, clean the whole house..." :)

    ReplyDelete