Thursday, February 7, 2008

No Longer an Outcast


At 15 1/2, Colin feels that we are parents from the stone age, or another planet, because we have not included him in the family cell phone plan. We explained that because all his friends HAVE cell phones, we could always reach him, but he didn't seem to enjoy that bit 'o' logic very much. Still, we thought 16 was a good age from driving and cell phones (I know, I know, why don't we just give him a beer with those keys and send him on his way...) Anyway, we finally made him a deal: Straight A's at the semester would get him a cell phone 6 months early. Guess what! He did it!!! We are totally excited and just got him the coolest phone, a Sony Ericsson Walkman 580i, with an MP3 player, a 2mg camera as seen above (AND, I saved $30 by purchasing online). Of course I thought that would take care of the problem, but oh, how naive I can be. As soon as we started discussing phones for Colin, Kendall started in on ALL the reasons she needed a phone at 10 years old. And then Colin jumped in about all the reasons she had to wait til she was 16 or the entire universe would be sent topsy-turvy, and the "It's Not Fair" gods would be angered and chaos would reign supreme. Kendall just smiles and tells her friends about the phone she's going to get in "6th grade" when the boys are both gone. I hate to break it to Colin, but she's probably right. Hopefully, by then, there will be some other awesome techno-gadget he'll want and he won't notice the horrible injustice in his life.

7 comments:

  1. Whoa! "That is the coolest phone ever!" says Hannah. I really was going to say my own thing, but then Hannah talked in my ear while I was typing and it came out because I got distracted from my own thought. I'm sure it was something along those lines anyway! The bubbies have been lobbying for a cell phone for 2 years. My problem is that I refuse to buy two phones and I don't know how to break it to them that they will never have their own as long as they live here! Yikes...don't say anything yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous! I've been trying to convince my dh that i've needed the motorola version of that phone for like 3 whole months now (~winks~ 3 months is a long time to teenagers or those who wish they were teenagers)

    And yes. ~sighs~ such is the way the world works. The older kid(s) move out and the baby gets everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah has already asked me for a cell-phone. Call me mean, but i don't think it necessary in first grade.
    BTW-thanks for the link!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool phone - congrat's to Colin. Now will he take your call when the Caller ID says it's you?

    http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excuse' MOI! Oh, you are going to pay for that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!! AND I THOUGHT YOU WERE LIKE AUNT BECKY, KENDALL"S RIGHT, THERE ARE A TON OF REASONS WE SHOULD HAVE A CELL PHONE AT 11!! GET US EACH ONE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coolio! Zach just got that phone! I can call him and Colin the Walkman boys. :)

    ReplyDelete